Monday, November 13, 2006

Letting Go of God

"And I thought, wow. For all of those people who believe every word of the bible is true, they can't even have read the first two chapters!"

"So I felt eager to finally read this book. This book that I always wanted to take the time to read, but I really never had. And I was happy to see that the Old Testament starts out with two conflicting stories about the origin of the universe. One, where Adam and Eve are created at the exact same moment -- and then in the next chapter, a second creation story where Adam is created first and Eve is created out of his rib after he gets lonely.

And I thought, wow. For all of those people who believe every word of the bible is true, they can't even have read the first two chapters...

I knew the Bible had nutty stories, but, I guess I thought they'd be wedged in amongst an ocean of inspiration and history. But instead the stories just got darker and convoluted...

So what if matters to you most is your own loving behavior? Should we be willing to give up our ethics for God?...

First off, Jesus is much angrier than I expected him to be. I mean I knew that Jesus got angry with all those money changers in the temple and everything, but I didn't know that he was so angry, so much of the time -- and very impatient...

And it was hard to stay on Jesus' side when he started to say really aggressive, hateful things. Like in Luke, Jesus says that he is like a king who says, 'Anyone who does not recognize me, bring them here and slaughter them before me.' Or in John, chapter 15 where Jesus says that anyone who doesn't believe in him is like a 'withered branch' that will be cast into the fire and burn. In Matthew he says, 'I come not to bring peace, but a sword.' And then in Luke, 'If you don't have a sword, sell your clothes and buy one.'

Then Jesus just starts acting downright crazy. Like in Matthew, chapter 21, when a fig tree doesn't have a fig for him to eat, Jesus condemns the fig tree to death. That's right, Jesus condemns, a fig tree to death. Not a parable by the way, just Jesus pissed off that the fig tree didn't have a fig for him to eat when he wanted one -- Not exactly the prince of peace who taught us to turn the other cheek.

The Bible, the 'Good Book', the 'Good News' -- I was so disillusioned with the Bible I didn't think it could get any worse, but it did...


Read More...

No comments: